Leonid Makarovich is the first president of Ukraine. It is currently in full state security. In 2019, on January 10, he celebrated the anniversary — he turned 85 years old. Despite the elderly age, the ex-president is actively interested in politics, attends political forums and meetings.
Before the start of the election campaign, in 2018, he often attended various press conferences. But to all the questions of journalists about which candidate he will support in the elections, answered that he initially wants to impress the candidates, and therefore he is an active participant in the meetings.
A few months later, during an interview, he said that he didn’t expect so much brutality, lies and affronts from the campaign of candidates. He believed that Petro Poroshenko had done wrong by calling Volodymyr Zelensky a “puppet of Kolomoisky” after the end of the first round of elections. He also added that Zelensky would be in his right if after that he would not respect the current president.
Leonid Makarovych expected that Petro Poroshenko would behave in a worthy manner. But he added that he was disappointed when the candidates turned the election campaign into the mix of insults, sorting things out (like a big family quarrel) and not a diplomatic showdown. When candidates communicated there was no respect for each other, but only hate. In his view, the period before the election is not the easiest, but it is necessary to maintain equilibrium and not resort to mutual affronts.
- In May, Leonid Kravchuk expressed the opinion that Ukraine have good chance to apply for membership in the North Atlantic Alliance before 2024.
- In June, the first president of Ukraine:
- expressed the opinion: “Poroshenko, who claims that his team will enter the Rada,” to not stand in opposition, but take power”, uses the formula of Bolsheviks.”
- declared that he believes — Volodymyr Zelensky didn’t have to talk about the dissolution of the Verkhovna Rada during the inauguration. Ukrainian People’s Deputies are actively opposed to the new President Zelensky. And that’s happened because he said in his speech during the inauguration that Parliament was dissolved.
- supported the idea of legalizing medical marijuana. But, he said, before adopting such a law, it is necessary to create a special commission and get the results of studying all the positive and negative aspects of this issue.
Leonid Makarovich shared what he believes is necessary to establish peace in Ukraine. The most important thing is that everything should be done gradually. And the first necessary step is the liberation of captive Ukrainians. Then Ukraine must enter into a dialogue and stop the fire. After that, take up the settlement of the situation in the Donbas and Crimea.
We remind that after the 1994 election (when Kravchuk was defeated in the presidential election), he did not leave politics.
In September 1994, he was elected a deputy of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine. He was a member of the Social-Market Opposition political fraction, and later joined the “Constitutional Center” deputy group.
From 1998 to 2006, Leonid Danilovich was a permanent member of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine. But when his Social Democratic Party failed to overcome the barrier of three percent in the parliamentary elections, he decided to withdraw from the “governing members of the party” and engage in social and political activities. At the same time, he did not want to be tied to any particular party.
Since that time, he has been actively involved in the life of Ukraine. Leonid Danilovich is an honorary president of the International Public Association “Rivne Fellowship”.
Oeuvre — Kuchma as a writer
Leonid Danilovich wrote more than 500 articles and also write books. He writes himself, as well as in co-authorship with others. His most famous books are the book “We have what we have”, which came out in 2002, and “One Ukraine, the only people.” This book was released in 2010.
In order to show respect for such an outstanding policy in 2014, Ukraine’s post has created a mark in honor of the 80th anniversary of Kravchuk.